Welcome to fsu-teach
FSU-Teach allows students to pursue an undergraduate degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geoscience, Mathematics or Physics AND earn a second major in secondary teaching at the same time. No additional hours are required, since elective hours are used for education courses. FSU-Teach students can still graduate with their content degree in four years and be both certified and highly-qualified to teach upon graduation.
Same degree, more options
- Whether you teach, pursue a career with your content degree, or continue with professional or graduate school, you will be more marketable and better prepared for the challenges you face.
- You’ll become a better scientists or mathematician because learning how to effectively teach helps increase your depth of understanding of your discipline. Knowing how people learn will help you better communicate in a wide variety of situations. Your work in FSU-Teach will make you stand out in any career path you choose.
- Teacher certification is often seen as a plus when applying to medical or graduate school.
- There is a desperate shortage of qualified math and science teachers in Florida and across the country. Because of this, FSU-Teach graduates typically have a number of job offers upon graduation.
- Teachers shape the future--- whether you leave FSU and teach for a short time until graduate school or teach for a lifetime—well-prepared, committed teachers can make a difference in the lives of students and in the success of our country.
Try it out for free!
Freshmen and sophomores can “test-drive” this program before making a commitment by taking Step 1 (SMT 1043) and Step 2 (SMT 1053)—and we will even reimburse your tuition and fees.